Feeding Therapy

What will Creative Speech Therapy do to help my child eat?

95% of picky eaters are picky due to an underlying cause; leaving only 5% of picky eating as behavioral. Many picky eaters are picky because they have trouble managing certain food textures. Teaching them the skills to safely manage food, will help them learn to trust food again. Our job as your child’s feeding therapist is to re-establish your child’s trust of food and trust in you as their primary feeder. As such, we work with your whole family and child’s care-givers to relieve the anxiety of feeding your child. We are your partner and your child’s advocate. 

First we find the cause of your child's picky eating or problem feeding

We start with a feeding evaluation:
  • Comprehensive evaluation examining the structures of the mouth, feeding tools, feeding patterns, and techniques 
  • Background, medical, and family history
  • Analysis of your child’s chewing and swallowing.
  • Tethered oral tissue exam (if necessary)
You will receive a full report of the data collected during the evaluation. Please see our evaluation FAQ for more information.
We work with infants, toddlers, and children with any feeding or meal time difficulties.

Then we treat your child with kid friendly and research based interventions

Depending on the cause, we implement the following techniques as appropriate:

  • Picky Eating Therapy
  • SOS Approach to Feeding Therapy
  • Oral Motor Therapy 
  • Tethered Oral Tissue Therapy (tongue, lip, and cheek tie)
  • Chewing Therapy
  • Swallowing Therapy
  • Baby Led Weaning
  • Responsive Feeding Therapy
For infants:
  • Breastfeeding Therapy
  • Bottlefeeding Therapy
  • Oromyofunctional Therapy for newborns
  • Swallowing Therapy

We teach you therapeutic approaches to feeding that will help build trust between you and your child, strengthening their willingness to try new foods at home. Our goal with each child is to expand their diet and promote positive interactions with food at home, at school, and in their community.

Scroll to Top
Skip to content